Dear Members and Friends of TheShop.Build,
Welcome back to our newsletter! There’s been so much going on I have missed a few weeks on getting our email out. Please let us know what you would like to see more or less of in our communication with you.
We continue to invest in new tools to make your membership more valuable. In the last few weeks, we’ve installed:
- Pocket NC 5-Axis CNC mill. This is a state of the art machine with incredible precision and a new user interface. Read more here http://www.pocketnc.com/blog/2017/9/8/pocket-nc-version-2
- Wizard 9000Z computerized mat cutter. As part of the new framing area, we have a large-format machine capable of cutting 40” x 60” mats, 90-, 52-, and 45-degree angles, complex shapes, debossing, and a pen tool for drawing.
Our Meetup page is up and running. See https://www.meetup.com/TheShopSanFrancisco/ and let us know if you have any ideas for events, or would like to host one of your own.
- May 12 Saturday. Game Night! If it comes in a box and you can play it, let’s do it! New this time is a delicious new catered food experience from our fellow makerspace, La Cocina. La Cocina helps women, immigrants, and people of color to become food entrepreneurs - more than 30 local food businesses have launched from there! https://www.lacocinasf.org/ We’ll also be giving away one month of free membership, a free class (any level laser class) and super-cool TheShop swag.
- May 12 Saturday-CODAME Fashion We will have a team of creative technologist so participants of all skill levels can create meaningful, beautiful outcomes. Wear what you create to the CODAME ART+TECH Festival or have it on display in their Fashion Technology Zone. http://codame.com/events/workshop-fashion-technology
- May 12-20. Week of Making. All week leading up to Maker Faire, we’ll be hosting classes and other events to celebrate and advance individual makers and our community. We’ll have a huge booth at Maker Faire, so be sure to come by and bring your family and friends! https://theshop.build/WeekOfLearning
STEAM Academy – Youth Education
Our Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM) summer camps for kids ages 8-17 are only a few weeks away! We’re bringing back shop class, updated with today’s technologies. Check them out, along with our other activities, at https://theshop.build/Steam
We’re looking into new ways to price our memberships for professional makers, small businesses, and other non-hobbyists. Ideas include pay-what-you-like, co-working/semipermanent spaces, and other ways to balance cost and access. Look for a town-hall meeting coming up soon, but please send us your thoughts in the meantime.Keep Building,